CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Subject: Varkon

John Stevenson wrote:

Not knowing the first thing about Linux but it seems like I shall have to have a

> play over winter I'm going to ask some possibly stupid questions.
> I have read where you can run some windows programs under Linux, Can you also
> run DOS under linux??

Yes, absolutely, but it can't access any hardware in non-standard ways.
In other words, if a program thinks it is sending a printout to a printer on the
parallel port, it is really sending it to the Linux spooler, not the physical printer
port. So, a program to drive steppers or read DRO encoders through the
parallel port would not work right off the bat. (I think I read somewhere
that there is a way to turn the parallel port over to the DOS emulator, so that
these operations would be permitted.)

> If you can there are still some copies of Bobcad V14 out there that will fill
> the CAM needs and Generic Cadd is still one of the best CAD programs ever made.

I have Bobcad/CAM, and will have to put Wine on and see if it will work.
Ugh, a dongle! On the parallel port! Oh, well, maybe it WON'T work, then!

john@x... 1999-08-30 15:18:55 UTC Subject: Varkon Jon Elson 1999-08-30 22:46:30 UTC Re: Subject: Varkon Darrell Gehlsen 1999-08-30 22:55:21 UTC Re: Subject: Varkon