CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Subject: Varkon

Posted by john@x...
on 1999-08-30 15:18:55 UTC
On 30 Aug 1999 10:47:10 -0000, you wrote:

> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 08:57:37 -0500
> From: Dan Falck <dfalck@...>
>Subject: Varkon
>
>I have been using Varkon (CAD) on my Linux system for about a week now.
>It's pretty interesting, being a parametric type CAD/ programming system.
>The learning curve is going to be really steep for me, but shouldn't be too
>bad for all of you programmers out there.
>My desire for a Linux CAD system is overshadowing my dread of having to
>totally re-learn a new interface.
>In the Varkon documentation, they state that it can't be used as a CAM
>system, for 3D contouring and such, but might be adaptable as a simple 2D
>profile CAM system. The programming language that it uses makes it look
>that way.
>
>What other CAD/CAM solutions have you guys on the list found for Linux?
>
>Are there any Linux oriented programmers out there who would like to take
>on the task of building a CAM system that would work in conjunction with
>EMC- in exchange for equipment/work/help? I have some stepper motors that
>could go to a good home (incentive to get the programmers in the group
>interested ;-) ) in exchange for a workable GUI CAM system.
>
>Thanks,
>Dan Falck

Not knowing the first thing about Linux but it seems like I shall have to have a
play over winter I'm going to ask some possibly stupid questions.
I have read where you can run some windows programs under Linux, Can you also
run DOS under linux??
If you can there are still some copies of Bobcad V14 out there that will fill
the CAM needs and Generic Cadd is still one of the best CAD programs ever made.
I have also seen that Microstation also have a linux copy but I image that it's
steep on price.
I personally use Fastcad 32 and there was a thread on their user news group a
while ago expressing a need for a Linux version. I think it will come but not
for a while.
--
Regards,
John Stevenson