CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] tram-it

on 2001-05-03 10:53:04 UTC
Hi Jack,

I suspect reflective opto-switches. The kind used for Dan's tach's.
Several channels, driving LED's, around in a circle. I know, we can
build one!

I'm still waiting for a Renishaw for my Sherline! Anybody build any? I
tried some experiments with a small microswitch mounted on a 1/4" rod,
and was able to nudge up to it, and get fair repeatability. Only good
for one axis, 'tho.

Alan KM6VV

jmw@... wrote:

> Does anyone know how a Widget called Tram-It works? (I think I've got
> the name right.) Tram-It is supposed to help align the head of Bport
> type mills. The thing is basically a 4"-6" disk about 1/2" thick with
> a shank to mount it in the machine spindle.
>
> You fire up Tram-It, wind the mill to 500 or so RPM and bring the
> device about .050" from the table. The thing lights up around its
> periphery (via multi-color LED's I presume), one color in the highest
> zone and a second color elsewhere. You adjust the head until Tram-It
> glows just a single color all around its edge.
>
> A couple hundred $ is a little pricey when an indicator and bent rod
> work fine, but it's a bit of a head scratcher how the thing works.
>
> Flying .050" above the table, it wouldn't take me long to crash the
> disk. Also I think I'd prefer not to adjust the head when the machine
> is vibrating.
>
> But how does it work?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --Jack

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-05-03 10:53:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] tram-it Bill Phillips 2001-05-03 14:13:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] tram-it Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-05-03 22:47:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] tram-it Henry H. Armstrong 2001-05-04 19:35:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] tram-it