CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Kearney and Trecker

on 2001-05-03 20:18:30 UTC
Hello Dough and Jon,
It depends on what type of work you are aiming.
Possibly it will be a good investment if you have to do dozens of
mold plates per day that you later put on a Blanchard grinder.
If there are only few large parts with little metal removal and a lot of tool changing then
the retrofit will never pay off.
Like in my case for a Grafenstaden mill. Only Siemens control, software motors, drivers and encoders are 32K$. Still no screws and
nothing else.
With that little work ..... no hope ...... no retrofit... . period.
So if you have a lot of that big kind of work, then get a VERY close look at the machine and
then evaluate.
But keep in mind that with the same money you are able to get a whole shop
equipped of small size precision machines. That pay of much faster.
Good Luck
Sven Peter.

PS. If I would be able to start again like 11 years ago. I would go with small tooling parts
and not big monsters.