CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC interpreter

Art Fenerty wrote:

> Thanks for all the responces. I agree, that the EMC interpreter is definetly
> not an amateur controller. It's code is very complex and can handle a great
> deal of advanced features. I would appreciate it if someone can tell me how
> to tell BobCad how to output standard Canned Cycles. I don't think EMC can
> handle subroutines due to the fact that the subroutines are contained at the
> end of the G-Code file. EMC is a top down translator, it must read the
> Canned Cycle first, store it, and then call the Cycle when it's required. Do
> I understand correctly, that a Canned Cycle is a subroutine by another name,
> or is a canned cycle limited in its application?

Generally, canned cycles are not really subroutines, as they usually can not be
changes as easily as a subroutine. In older controls, the canned cycles were
created at the factory, and can't be changed except by loading a whole new
executive program into the control.

The real reason why EMC doesn't do subroutines is that figuring out the
toolpath in advance is more complicated, and EMC takes the lookahead
pretty seriously. This also complicates optional skipping of blocks of code,
loops, and manually restarting programs at a different block.

Jon Elson 2001-05-08 14:03:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC interpreter