CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Felt Way wipers on SEriesII ok.??.. was Re:Lubrication for CNC

on 2001-05-12 07:53:26 UTC
Hello Lee,
You are right! Or you can put a small spacer below the old wiper body
and
put only a small stripe below the rubber part. This way you keep the
soluble oil out.

I have used felt on many different type of machines. (have not even a
clue
what is a series II) I use 4 to 6 mm thick semi hard felt I get from a
local
Wood factory where they use it for their Melamine press line which I
service.
In one occasion I got nothing so I bought a few typical east german
Honeker
felt hats. (only one is left as souvenir) Another good source were in
one occasion
winter boots out of felt. There are some oldtimer cars and hydraulic
pistons that use
felt as retainer, that material is of excellent properties.
If you use too soft felt it gets torn apart and gets pulled into the
ways.

The biggest felt wiper I have seen these days on a Swansey automatic
lathe from middle 60's 7/8" 22 mm thick.
The ways on it are hardened and like brand new, not any scratch.
But Lee, keep in mind to put a wiper in front of the felt.
You can use factory wipers (Kabelschlepp BAS18 28,..$per meter and 7 $/m
for the replacement
plus a lot for transport)
Leather, Polyurethane, or brass shim.
So sometimes the thing builds up pretty much. (2 weeks ago 1" because I
needed a spacer to pass
the lubrication fittings.)
Good Luck

Lee Studley wrote:

> Hi Sven,
>
> Is the felt you mention cut the same size and placed under the
> existing wipers? This is an interesting
> way of rejuvenating my old wipers on a seriesII.
>
> What thickness and type of felt do you recommend?
>
> Thanks,
> Lee

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Sven Peter, TAD S.A." <peteryco@r...>
> wrote:
> > On most machines I rebuild I add a layer of felt between the wiper
> and the slide.
> > I have seen it on many very old machines and really works. (Best
> ways on a mill from 1910.)
> > The wiper takes of the chips when it is in good shape, but wipes of
> the oil too!
> > On one hand the felt absorbs surplus oil and later spreads it again
> on the way.
> > On the other hand it absorbs small particles that could pass the
> wiper, so that they
> > do not get in between way and slide.
> > The felt has to get washed in gasoline every 6 month to get out
> these small particles.

Sven Peter, TAD S.A. 2001-05-12 07:53:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Felt Way wipers on SEriesII ok.??.. was Re:Lubrication for CNC Lee Studley 2001-05-12 11:35:31 UTC Felt Way wipers on SEriesII ok.??.. was Re:Lubrication for CNC