CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

software recommendations for MAXNC?

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2001-05-20 12:51:51 UTC
Message: 7
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 22:32:04 -0400
From: "Rick Miller" <apollo@...>
Subject: software recommendations for MAXNC?

Hi!
I just joined the list yesterday - the same day I received a 4-axis
MAXNC15 CL2 system.

[Welcome and congratulations!]

I'm new to the world of CNC (and machining), but have been using AutoCAD
for 10 years. Most of the work I do now is solid-modeling, I'm wondering if
anyone has a recommendation of any particular software to take a 3D CAD
file and create the NC code needed for my particular machine? Should I just
be looking for something to translate the CAD file into NC code that I
would then load into the supplied MAXNC software, or would I be better off
looking for a complete package that would translate AND control the CNC
mill?

[I'd say stick with the supplied MaxNC software to control the machine, at
least for the time being. Run it in straight DOS, not in a DOS Window. They
have a somewhat unique system based on encoder-equipped stepper motors, and
it would take some tinkering to adapt another control software package to
work as well. Is there something special you're trying to do that the
supplied software won't support?]

Much of the software I've found available on the web requires one to
draw the toolpaths in the form of polylines, I would like to avoid this if
at all possible. In addition to transforming the solid models into NC
programs, I'm also somewhat interested in doing the same with surface
models, though this is of secondary importance. Anyone have any ideas? :-)

[DeskProto is still the most affordable software I've found that will
translate solid or surface models (as polygonal meshes) into g-code
commands for 4-axis mills. The 2.0 version allows you to do this by
indexing the part on the 4th axis. The beta version of the 3.0 version
(supplied free to purchasers of 2.0) makes free-standing parts more
straight-forwardly. It has two modes for doing this: "Along X; fixing the
y-axis at y=0 and running the tool down x, varying in z, then moving a
variable increment in A and doing another long pass down x, etc.; or Along
Y, which rotates the A axis while the z-axis goes up and down, then
unwinding and doing another pass further along the x axis.]

Also, does anyone know of a good source of small endmills, clamp sets,
etc. for this machine?

[For small endmills, try Micro-100 <www.micro100.com> or Garr tools
<www.gartool.com>. You can't effectively use any tools under about 1/16"
though, unless you replace the spindle with something else that spins
faster. Bryan Harris at Spillage (!) International of Bethlehem PA makes 22
and 44 pc. hold-down sets for these machines: <www.spillage.net>.]

PS - I suppose giving you some idea of my applications may help - I
intend to use this machine to create plastic injection molds and to create
prototype parts.

Thanks,
Rick

[The prototypes (in fairly soft materials) should be no problem; take it
easy if you're trying to remove a lot of steel in making your molds. I
wouldn't try to cut more than .010" at a time on that machine.]

www.computersculpture.com

Andrew Werby - United Artworks
Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff
http://unitedartworks.com

Discussion Thread

Rick Miller 2001-05-19 19:32:31 UTC software recommendations for MAXNC? Andrew Werby 2001-05-20 12:51:51 UTC software recommendations for MAXNC? Andrew Werby 2001-05-21 09:56:49 UTC Re: software recommendations for MAXNC?