CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: software recommendations for MAXNC?

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2001-05-21 09:56:49 UTC
Message: 3
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 08:27:28 -0400
From: "Rick Miller" <apollo@...>
Subject: Subject: software recommendations for MAXNC?

[I'd say stick with the supplied MaxNC software to control the machine, at
least for the time being. Run it in straight DOS, not in a DOS Window. They
have a somewhat unique system based on encoder-equipped stepper motors, and
it would take some tinkering to adapt another control software package to
work as well. Is there something special you're trying to do that the
supplied software won't support?]

No, nothing in particular as of yet. If I can simply import the NC code
created from another program, I think that will work just fine. My only
concern was the rather odd approach (in my opinion) to utilizing the 4th
axis, I did not look forward to the idea of having to draw all features
detailing the circumference of a part into a flat x-axis path.

[That's a handy trick for certain sorts of parts, but it's not suitable for
everything.]

Or, for that matter, taking all the solid models I spend many hours drawing
and turning them into 2D polylines (some features would be impossible to
represent in this manner). Or drawing toolpaths, rather than the object
itself. It simply seemed far too time consuming.

[I'm not sure what program you're using, but it's not as difficult as it
might seem to generate contour or section lines from a solid or surface
part. (In Rhino, you'd use the Contour or Section commands.) Of course, a
program like DeskProto does all that for you, and you don't need to
manually calculate your step-overs, etc.]

[DeskProto is still the most affordable software I've found that will
translate solid or surface models (as polygonal meshes) into g-code
commands for 4-axis mills. The 2.0 version allows you to do this by
indexing the part on the 4th axis. The beta version of the 3.0 version
(supplied free to purchasers of 2.0) makes free-standing parts more
straight-forwardly. It has two modes for doing this: "Along X; fixing the
y-axis at y=0 and running the tool down x, varying in z, then moving a
variable increment in A and doing another long pass down x, etc.; or Along
Y, which rotates the A axis while the z-axis goes up and down, then
unwinding and doing another pass further along the x axis.]

Thanks, after doing some more searching on the web I found DeskProto and
StlWork to be the most likely to suit my needs, from my totally
unexperienced perspective. I'm leaning toward DeskProto now, unless someone
can give me a good reason otherwise...

[Don't expect me to... Ask Fred if STLWork supports the 4th axis yet. I
found it a very capable program for 3-axis work, especially for the price,
and they seem to be improving it.]

[For small endmills, try Micro-100 <www.micro100.com> or Garr tools
<www.gartool.com>. You can't effectively use any tools under about 1/16"
though, unless you replace the spindle with something else that spins
faster. Bryan Harris at Spillage (!) International of Bethlehem PA makes 22
and 44 pc. hold-down sets for these machines: <www.spillage.net>.]

Thanks again, these links were of great help though it seems the gartool
website is not available at the moment.

[Keep trying, it's probably just a glitch. Both of those companies will
probably send you to a local distributor anyway.]

Has anyone had any thoughts as to using a fabricated steel table (with T
slots) attached over the stock mill bed, mainly in order to prevent any
permanent damage to the aluminum bed? I would think this would also allow
the use of regular steel t-bolts as well for clamping. Any opinions on this?

[Try to keep the weight down, but it would probably work. I'm guilty of
using steel bolts on my aluminum table (actually ground-down carriage
bolts). They gall the slots a bit, but hold a lot better than the aluminum
tee-nuts, which tend to disembowel themselves when tightened.]

[The prototypes (in fairly soft materials) should be no problem; take it
easy if you're trying to remove a lot of steel in making your molds. I
wouldn't try to cut more than .010" at a time on that machine.]

For *most* of the type of work I forsee myself doing, that shouldn't be a
problem - but is there any way I could enable the machine to take deeper
cuts safely, i.e. more powerful motor - or does this limitation stem from
the structure of the machine itself such as the relatively small diameter
ball screw?

[Well, it's an acme screw, not a ball screw, but the main limitation,
besides the generally limited rigidity of the machine, is the spindle
arrangement. Steel likes a relatively low RPM, but the supplied 10,000 rpm
1/5 hp variable speed motor doesn't have much torque in the low range. If
you wanted to cut steel, finding a small but powerful 1725 rpm motor to
substitute would probably be advantageous.]

Thanks again for your help, I will probably be contacting you shortly
regarding purchasing the DeskProto program.
-Rick

[That would be fine- let me know if you have any more questions about it.
You can download a function but time-limited copy of it from their site at
http://www.deskproto.com This is 2.0, though- it doesn't have the direct
4th axis support. You need to have the dongle installed for the beta to
work.]

www.computersculpture.com

Andrew Werby - United Artworks
Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff
http://unitedartworks.com

Discussion Thread

Rick Miller 2001-05-19 19:32:31 UTC software recommendations for MAXNC? Andrew Werby 2001-05-20 12:51:51 UTC software recommendations for MAXNC? Andrew Werby 2001-05-21 09:56:49 UTC Re: software recommendations for MAXNC?