CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Why Bipolar?

Joel Jacobs wrote:

> [...]

Yes, of course, there is substantial current during the turn-on and turn-off.
But, moderate gain single bipolar transistors have really low gain, and so for a 5
Amp drive, you may have to supply 500 mA to the transistor the entire time it
is turned on. Supplying 500 mA referenced to the varying emitter voltage level
is a real challenge! Driving a power FET is much easier. A modest capacitor
can hold the charge to turn the transistor on, and then it takes no current to
keep it on. During the time between turn-ons you can recharge that capacitor.

> There is also miller capacitance between the gate and
> drain so if you are switching high voltages the inverted signal at the drain
> will fight the gate current. For high frequency switching as in a power
> supply or chopper drive your gate drive circuit needs to be able to drive
> about an amp (for a very short time) to get good switching speeds from the
> FETs. I usually use a bipolar totem pole transistor driver 2n3904/2n3906
> with a series resistor to limit the gate current to one amp.

The IR 2113 and similar drivers can source up to 5 A to get the FETs on quickly.
This is imperative for IGBTs, which will fail if you ever let them run in linear mode,
due to current hogging by one small area of the die. But, this all happens in
under 100 nS, and then it takes no power to keep the transistor on!

Chris Stratton 2001-05-24 18:59:13 UTC Why Bipolar? ballendo@y... 2001-05-24 20:12:06 UTC Re: Why Bipolar? Jon Elson 2001-05-24 20:23:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Why Bipolar? Rich D. 2001-05-24 20:30:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Why Bipolar? Joel Jacobs 2001-05-24 22:15:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Why Bipolar? Jon Elson 2001-05-24 23:18:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Why Bipolar? Jon Elson 2001-05-24 23:27:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Why Bipolar? Jeff Demand 2001-05-25 05:09:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Why Bipolar?