CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to install motors into a Grizzly or Enco Milling CNC?

on 2001-05-30 18:34:13 UTC
Hi Jose,

I'd check out Jeff's (A.K.A. CADMAN) site! What you'll see is his
proposed approach to mounting servo motors. I plan to use steppers, at
least at first.

I am curious, you call yours a drill/mill. I've heard that there is a
slightly different set of machines, that Harbor Freight (?) calls
drill/mill. From what I've heard (and somebody correct me if I'm
wrong), this set of machines does not have the same rigidity and
accuracy of bed drive (X & Y) that machines like the ENCO 16" swing,
Rong-Fu 31, or 45 (etc.), or the Grizzly equivalents have. SO, these
modifications may not apply to YOUR machine. I've only had my new RF-31
for less then two weeks, so I'm certainly not an authority! Which
machine do you have? URL?

Jeff is going (I think) directly to ball screws, I might try using the
existing Acme leadscrews, for a while. In my case, I'll probably remove
the handle "cog", and machine a pulley to directly slip over the shaft
of the leadscrew. Don't know yet!

Good to hear from you!

Alan KM6VV

Jose Ivan Quinones wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I am new here but am extremely interested in transforming my bench
> Drill Mill machine into a CNC. There are many questions which I plan
> on getting answered in a near future, but the one I have not been
> able to answer is how to adapt the motors to the handles? Should I
> dismantle every fitting and then adapt the gear or sprocket? Or is it
> only necessary to take out the wheel and mount the gear or sprocket
> into that? If this is so should I cut a three prung into the gear or
> sprocket assembly so that it binds with the fixture? What is the best
> way of doing this without damaging the actual machine? Thanks for
> your
> help!
>
> JIQ

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-05-30 18:34:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How to install motors into a Grizzly or Enco Milling CNC?