CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New Mini mill/drill

Posted by Edward Rupp
on 2001-05-30 18:44:13 UTC
Klaus,

Thanks for the information. I've always wandered about how these
machine mail order catalogs get and sell these machines. I've talked to
a fellow some time ago, he was convinced that the machines were sold on
a grade bases. Something about a machine made it better, maybe the
quality of the castings, machining or better design feature. The better
machine he thought were sold to the "flashy" catalogs like Grizzly and
the "rot gut" got sold through Harbor Freight. Is any of this true? I
think the Harbor Freight version if it does have a R8 spindle would be
the preferred, if all else is equal. Though your insight on the
machines being still on the high sea does cause me to wander if Grizzly
would be better. I've bought a lot of stuff through Harbor and have
mostly been satisfied. Though once I did encounter the "vaporware",
ordered the 3 in one sheet metal machine. After about 2 - 3 months
waiting I canceled and ordered the same machine from Grizzly, got it in
about a week. Did cost a bit more due to shipping.

Edward Rupp