CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

EM Ramblings, was: Stepper Dissasembly

on 2001-06-05 14:56:22 UTC
Hi Bob,

Yeah, must have something to do with the T.A.R.D.I.S. ! You certainly
have "shed some light" on the repair aspect of motors and magnets. It
would certainly be interesting to know exactly what happens in a
magnetic field. Radio waves are similar, they are an expanding magnetic
and electric field, at right angles to each other, and to the direction
of propagation (I hope I got that right). For radio, the field is
constantly changing, for a simple magnet, it seems to be static, no
electric field. And of course we can have a static electric field, or
electric charge on a capacitor plate. Now if we could just work out
gravity...

I've probably veered way off topic (apologies!), and I probably didn't
get all that right! whatdaya expect after a big company lunch at an
Italian restaurant!

Alan KM6VV
(R.E., Dr. Who?)

cncdxf@... wrote:

> Hi Alan,
> The tiny magnets lining up explains nothing. Ask a science or
> physics teacher what a magnetic field is made out of? I like the
> electrons distorting time and space myself. Magnetism is like
> radioactivity. Something that gets magnetized seems to loose it's
> strength like the decay of radioactive material. I hope I have shed
> some light on how to keep the magnets strong during a repair. Years
> ago before I knew about magnets I lost several slot cars. I marked
> the motors and took them apart. I rebuilt the motors but they ran
> with less tork. I knew about a keeper that comes with magnet. I just
> did not put two and two together. Years later I had to make magnets
> for motors. The neatest thing I ever saw was a MAGWHEEL. A magwheel
> had numbers on it. Binary in on some windings and the wheel would
> turn. They looked like slot machine wheels. They we used in aircraft
> instruments. The magnet was pear shaped and it took lots of tries to
> get it magnetized the correct way.
>
> Bob
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
> > Hi Bob,
> >
> > Thanks for the great comments on stepper motors! I'm a little
> curious
> > about the demise of the "tiny magnet theory", the little guys don't
> line
> > up anymore?
> >
> > Alan KM6VV
> >
> > cncdxf@a... wrote:
> > >
> > > Group,
> >
> > <SNIP>
> > > A magnetic field is like making a whirlpool in a swimming
> pool.
> > > As long as nobody swims the wrong way everything is fine. In a
> magnet
> > > all the electrons are orbiting in sync. Forget that tiny magnet
> theory
> > > they tought you in school. The magnet field is created because the
> > > spinning electrons destort space and time. (nobody really knows!)
> >
> > <BIG SNIP>

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-06-05 14:56:22 UTC EM Ramblings, was: Stepper Dissasembly