CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Erratic X

William Reidsema wrote:

> Hello Group!
> I have a recurring problem when cutting a piece
> of
> machineable wax measuring 4"x4". After about two
> inches
> of cutting perfectly, my X axis goes awry and starts
> moving and cutting off the wax.
> The G-code is fine as I have verified it. I have
> faith in my Gecko drives and I don't think they are
> the
> problem. I've changed my power options in the bios. I
> doubt it is the driver software because it worked
> perfectly until this started to happen. Why would the
> cutting proceed normally and suddenly start wandering
> to the left or right about halfway through the file?
> All I can sat is it screws up consistently!
> Any ideas from this knowledgeable group?

This is very hard to answer with what you've given us.
Most importantly, what software are you using?
Why don't you give us the section of G code that is
the problem? Is it diverging in the middle of a linear
move, or is it more complex than that?
Are you using cutter diameter compensation?
What Gecko drives are you using, and what sort of interface
to them? Stepper or servo? Do you have encoders, or is
this an open-loop stepper system?

What feedrate are you using at the time of the problem, and
is the feedrate changing at that point? What is the maximum
feedrate that your machine can handle? Obviously, with wax,
cutting forces are not the culprit. Have you tried it with the
spindle motor off? If it works OK with the spindle motor off,
then you have an electrical interference problem.
If it happens at exactly the same coordinate every time, that
would point to a software problem.

William Reidsema 2001-06-15 18:50:40 UTC Erratic X Smoke 2001-06-15 19:36:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Erratic X Jon Elson 2001-06-15 20:04:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Erratic X mariss92705@y... 2001-06-15 23:09:25 UTC Re: Erratic X RC 2001-06-16 08:54:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Erratic X