CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linear, circular, and helical interpolation?

on 2001-06-17 21:44:14 UTC
Hi Sven,

I agree, us "greenhorns" need to get some practice on manual mills. I
have a new project, an RF-31 mill, which I hope will give me much
experience before it "falls to CNC control".

Hand-eye coordination is a valuable skill to acquire! And one can
actually get a "feel" the metal being cut.

Alan KM6VV

"Sven Peter, TAD S.A." wrote:

> Alan Marconett KM6VV wrote:
>
> > Cut a 45 deg. angle? You gotta move both X and Y axis at
> > the same rate, so that they end up at the same time. Now, I've heard of
> > some old machinists who CAN do this, but I'll bet most of us can't.
>
> Hello Allan and folks,
> It is not easy but a real question of touch and eye balling.
> You are able for it only with a smooth and well adjusted machine.
> Obviously it is not for accurate jobs but for approximation on form
> pieces it goes.
> Try and play with a manual machine to get a feeling.
> Always I recommend the people to learn first to work conventionally
> with machines to get a feeling what you can do with a machine
> And then the CNC machines will not get abused as by greenhorns.
>
> In several occasions I hit hard with company owners that a simple
> PC user would be appropriate for CNC programing.
> In my eyes that is a big mistake. Obviously the opposite case is as
> bad as the first.
> 1995: One US-engineer and 1 dump machinist were not able to
> make one single prototype in 1 month working 9 hours day.
> I needed 3 days programming by hand (about 3000 lines)....and
> 1 day to machine 12 of them (11 in specs)
> Have fun
> Sven Peter

Discussion Thread

cdoughty@p... 2001-06-12 10:33:31 UTC linear, circular, and helical interpolation? Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-06-12 12:22:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linear, circular, and helical interpolation? Jon Elson 2001-06-12 22:02:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linear, circular, and helical interpolation? M. SHABBIR MOGHUL 2001-06-13 07:38:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linear, circular, and helical interpolation? Sven Peter, TAD S.A. 2001-06-15 14:03:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linear, circular, and helical interpolation? Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-06-17 21:44:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linear, circular, and helical interpolation?