CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper current in partial-step positions

on 2001-06-21 12:03:43 UTC
oops... Yeah, I understand P=RI^2 all right, it was just hiding in some sleepy
hollow of my brain, and I coughed up a distorted version of P = I*E, instead.
Running the windings at 70% in the half-step positions is just fine for the
motor, but it may draw more power supply current than one would expect at first
glance. The too-quick analysis is 3 drivers set to 5A current limit means you
need 15A power supply capacity. But if each of the motors is in a half-step
position you might really need 22A. This is the worst case; at any other partial
step position the total current draw is reduced, until it equals the limit
current when at a full-step position.

This is assuming the driver uses reasonably accurate sine/cosine factors to set
the two winding currents. A microstepping driving has to get these ratios close
to get evenly-spaced step positions.

But for the half-step positions, just having equal currents in both windings
will give the half-step position; it is possible to cut corners and make a
half-step driver just ram the full limit current through both windings at the
half-step positions. This is just part of the driver design; in this case if
your motor spends a lot of time dwelling on half-step positions, it could well
overheat.
-Kevin

Discussion Thread

Kevin P. Martin 2001-06-21 08:24:41 UTC Stepper current in partial-step positions mariss92705@y... 2001-06-21 09:57:08 UTC Re: Stepper current in partial-step positions Jon Elson 2001-06-21 10:13:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper current in partial-step positions Kevin P. Martin 2001-06-21 12:03:43 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper current in partial-step positions Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-06-21 15:19:38 UTC Re: Stepper current in partial-step positions mariss92705@y... 2001-06-21 16:22:34 UTC Re: Stepper current in partial-step positions Jon Elson 2001-06-21 16:52:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper current in partial-step positions ballendo@y... 2001-06-21 19:43:04 UTC FYI stepper basics was Re: Stepper current in partial-step positions ballendo@y... 2001-06-21 20:18:09 UTC Re: Stepper current in partial-step positions