CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

New member seeking Information

on 2001-06-21 15:05:01 UTC
Hi Karl,

There are plenty of posts on Camtronics and Gecko drivers in the files.
Also look up sources in FAQ and Links (see bottom of this post).

Looks like your motors are all a little small. about 70 oz/in will work
for a Sherline mill/lathe (NEMA #23! MO61's are a little big!). Your
big 3in1 would probably require motors closer to 450, from what I've
heard! I'd try to get past the "I just want to move the bed" thinking,
as your goal should be to install big enough motors to be able to do
CNC. I say that because, once you have the motors and drivers, the
software to run CNC is not that much more, even FREE!

Of course, if you want to "play", then no one is going to tell you NOT
to take the SS250, add about 6:1 (??) timing belt pulleys on it, hook up
Dan's or Mariss' driver(s), and see what you can do! If you've made the
motor mounts, and the gear "cage" upgradeable, no reason why you can't
try things, on the cheap (the motors, I mean)!

A possible drawback is the motor mount, so make it take your NEMA #34
(for SS250?), and possibly other sizes you might later want. With a 450
oz/in motor, I'm told that the guys here use 3:1 "gearing", so you'll
want to be able to change to that speed (or not!). This is the approach
I'm thinking about for my new RF-31 mill, which would require similar
stepper motors. I have some good old SS300's, and I'm thinking that I
can 'xperiment with them until I can buy bigger ones! However, there is
the cost of the belts & timing gears, 'tho.

Hope this gets you goin'. Be sure and ask more questions, that's what
the list is for! Everybody gains!

I think my robot arm has the Airpax motors.

We don't FLAME here!

Alan KM6VV
P.S. Check recent posts on a "power drive" for a mill on the mill/drill
list. good pix, and you can get an idea of the gear cage!

karlos@... wrote:

> I am a High School Chemistry teacher and new member of this list.
>
> Am currently on summer Vacation and free when honeydo's and relations
> "now that you're free, could you do" jobs can be avoided.
>
> I got into machining because I want to build some model engines
> that use solar and external combustion. I am on a very tight budget
> as Teachers do not make much money... I have the following assets:
>
> Harbor Freight 5980 3 in one (it was cheap) that I have modified
> extensively so that I can now mill safely with it and turn to 0.001"
> total out of round total deviation. I know that this is rotten
> precision to most of you, but hey, it is what I have. The lead screw
> is not driven and that is the first thing that I want to rectify as my
> arm is getting tired cranking the handle. I know that I will never be
> able to cut threads with this machine, but that is not what I got it
> for. I want to be able to drive the handle both directions crawling,
> slow and fast. I am also considering motorizing the y axis of the
> table as it has a fixed screw with a nut on the free end.
>
> I visited C&H Surplus and All Electronics in California last summer
> ago and came out with the following steppers which I have no idea how
> to integrate:
>
> Superior Electric - Slo Syn
> MA61FS-62019 10.1 V 0.5 A HOLD 60 OZ IN 200 STEPS
> MO61-LS-507 5.0 V 1.0 A HOLD 53 OZ IN 180 STEPS
> MO61-FD02 5.0 V 1.0 A HOLD 53 OZ IN 200 STEPS
> MO61-FD-6002E 5.0 V 1.0 A HOLD 53 OZ IN 200 STEPS
> MO61-FD-315 5.0 V 1.0 A 35 OZ IN 200 STEPS
> MO62-PC03 5.3 V 1.6 A 65 OZ IN 200 STEPS
> SS250-100S 9 V 1.53 A 225 OZ IN 200 STEPS
>
> Rapidsyn Industrial 23D-6124 A 5.1V 1.0 A
>
> LEXMARK P/N 69G8971 23LQ-C302-G2VS 4 WIRES
>
> BROTHER BH-200-56-50X 4 WIRES
>
> AIRPAX A83712-M1 12 V 15DEG/STEP
>
> I got these with the intention of making a pick and place robotic arm
> that I haven't gotten around to making. Information about drivers and
> controllers to make the above steppers work wold be most helpful.
>
> I have a couple of NTE2018 chips which I think are driver chips for
> steppers... They need additional circuitry to drive the motors.
>
> I am also considering the purchase of a Shopmaster 3 in 1 machine tool
> and would appreciate any feedback about that machine. I am hopeful
> that I can use some of these steppers on one to give me full CNC
> capability.
>
> Karl Peterson
> karlos@...

!!!! NEW MEMBERS READ THESE !!!!