CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: x degree stepper

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2001-06-22 14:51:13 UTC
Hello,

Good question!
Typical "hybrid" steppers (like the 23 and 34 sizes we talk about
here) use more than the four poles (of my example) in the motor
construction. 48 on the rotor and 50 on the stator is one common
arrangement.

The difference of 48 to 50 assures that the motor WILL always turn,
given that the coils are energised in the correct order(s).

So in the REAL motor, the four(or 8 step) sequence only moves the
motor through a small arc of rotation (7.2° for a 1.8°/step motor),
rather than the 360° of my example motor.

At which point the metal poles of the motor construction are in
alignment (magnetically and mechanically) such that the when the next
coil (or coil pair) is energised the rotation is continued...

You could think of it as a bunch of the "4 pole example" motors in a
circular row, where the mechanical arrangement causes one to "take
over" when the previous one is done. This is not exact, but might
help the visualisation.
In reality, it is more like several "teams" of four poles pulling (or
pushing) on the rotor at the same time from different positions
around it. And each of these "teams" hands over "their" portion of
the rotor every 4 (or 8) steps in the sequence.

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., cadcamcenter@y... wrote:
> ballendo@y...: "Full steps CAN be made with one coil on. It is
> called wave drive. If you picture a very simple motor:
> ...you can see that sending current to single coils in a
> 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,... pattern will cause the rotor to turn CW. To
> reverse, it's 4,3,2,1,4,3,2... This is full step operation"
>
> So how does one get 200 steps per revolution?

Discussion Thread

cadcamcenter@y... 2001-06-22 10:13:21 UTC x degree stepper ballendo@y... 2001-06-22 14:51:13 UTC Re: x degree stepper