CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Black Box - USB version info - call it the UMCI

on 2001-06-26 20:00:14 UTC
Thanks for the kind words Ron. The API (applications programming
interface) specification is finally in draft form. Plan to post it
Wednesday night after reading through it one more time from a cold
start.

In an attempt to keep our sanity about which "black/smart" box we
are working on, we have named ours the UMCI, or USB Motion Control
Interface.

While the people who are already committed to working with the UMCI
will have strongest influence, everyone will be welcome to critique
and make suggestions.

Regards,
Steve Stallings

>Message: 12
> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 22:21:18 -0400
> From: ron ginger <ronginger@...>
>Subject: Re: Black Box -
>
>At the NAMES show Steve Stallings arrived with a nice demo unit
running
>on a proto of his 'smart box'. We talked a lot about it, and that
caused
>me to get hot again on my Conversational program. I have made some
great
>progress, improving my interface a lot, making it easier to use. I
have
>greatly strengthened the 'learn mode' functions where the machine is
>used as a measuring machine to help define the part. This should be
real
>usefull in the home shop or repair shop kind of work, where we dont
even
>have a paper sketch, to say nothing of CAD.
>
>Steve posted a note here a month or so ago that he was working on
this,
>and would be opening a discussion here 'real soon now' to help define
>the command set. I know that at least a few guys are trading mail
over
>this, and have plans to build something around it when its ready.
>
>So, the smart box is moving along, but since we are approaching
summer
>vacations I suspect it may not be as fast as we might like.
>
>ron ginger

Discussion Thread

Steve Stallings 2001-06-26 20:00:14 UTC Re: Black Box - USB version info - call it the UMCI