CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Routine Chat Times

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2001-07-04 08:41:00 UTC
On Wed, 04 Jul 2001 , Fitch R. Williams wrote:

>I've wrestled with the Vector demo a little - time is precious. I
>"want" to like that SW. First time I clicked on the icon and
>VectorCAM generated about 30 lines of code, instantaneously, my heart
>skipped a beat - whoo hoo, hot dog! Magic! I was so excited I could
>hardly sit down. More, give me more! Then ... I read the code - it
>was not good code. ....

>, selection order, etc.

No etc. to it. Just Selection order. Shift Select & look at those red
arrows to see where it will be cutting. Simulate shows the order of
cutting too. Also you have to remember that Vector is a fulltime 3D
system. Put your geometry at the depth desired, then use Connect at Z
to add interconnecting rapids. It automatically rapids down to a
cutting height and then feeds into the work, instead of feeding all
the way in from rapid height.

>The SW has reasons to like it. Mark W. recommended it to me. I get
>the feeling if I could get my mind around its paradigm I'd like it.
>Fred is here, BobCAD is off ... someplace

> (The
>result of a kinesthetic learning experience!) I have not been able
>communicate these to VectorCAM. The first Z move has the red pointer
>moving off to some strange place on the part where I don't want to
be.
>Haven't been able to figure out what I'm doing wrong ... yet.

Selection order. Shift Select the last line to be cut and all vectors
will point to the final destination, in order.

>In BobCAD I just use the "go to a point" icon, click, and its there.
>then of course I have to add the G29 line by hand later. Same with
>going to where i want to lower the cutter and begin cutting. Use the
>go to a point icon, click where I want to end up, the pointer goes
>right there. Then, of course, I enter the next lines by hand - the
>"G00 Z-[initial-depth], G01 Z-[first-cut-depth] F 3" etc. commands
and
>any other "Z" feed commands, the call the tool path subroutine.
>
>Back to Vector: I haven't tried it yet, but maybe I just have to
>select that "point" first, then the rest of the path, and then the
>basic path commands will be what I want? Hmmm ...

Exactly. Also the Contours, Cycles, and Macros in Vector are set
up(and modifiable) identically to Bobcad Custom (similar to Macro in
Vector), except they are found under Options in the NC editor, and
your changes are automatically saved. Note you can interact as well
as modify with contours and cycles in Vector. They support AskFor
variables so you can ask for tool #, Feed, Speed if you want as the
code is generated.(not to mention scripting for cycles that require a
little calculation) Nice thing about it is that you can copy the
Custom blocks that you are now setting up in Bobcad to Vector! You
won't lose any of the work.

To do this: Open the Bobcad Custom block and select the text with a
Mouse drag, CTRL-C to copy. Open a Vector drawing and insert an NC
object. Options-Macro-Edit and CTRL-V to paste the entire contents
into Vector.

>I was able to draw some parts in VectorCAD just fine - no problem -
>and have that disk here - it arrived n the mail the other day -
>possibly the best deal since the Louisiana Purchase.
>
>It may be that my detail oriented do it my self my way personality
>isn't a good match for a highly (or even moderately) automated CAM
>package. At least not yet. I might adapt better when I get tired of
>all the typing? <G>

You have the perfect mind for the task at hand. You just need to read
the Vector Quick Tips to see what you are missing in the CAD side, and
realize that the same kind of extensions are also in the CAM side.

http://www.imsrv.com/Vector_Quick_Tips.pdf

__

Best Regards,

Fred Smith
IMService We are THE source for low cost Cad-Cam

Specials and discounts can be found at
http://www.vectorcam.com/cadcamedmdro.html

Voice: 248-486-3600 or 800-386-1670
Fax: 248-486-3698

Discussion Thread

Alan Trest 2001-07-03 19:57:00 UTC Routine Chat Times IMService 2001-07-04 07:10:12 UTC Re: Routine Chat Times Fitch R. Williams 2001-07-04 07:59:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Routine Chat Times Fitch R. Williams 2001-07-04 08:01:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Routine Chat Times Fred Smith 2001-07-04 08:26:12 UTC Re: Routine Chat Times Alan Trest 2001-07-04 08:39:00 UTC Re: Routine Chat Times Fred Smith 2001-07-04 08:41:00 UTC Re: Routine Chat Times Fitch R. Williams 2001-07-04 17:04:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Routine Chat Times Steve Smith 2001-07-04 19:24:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Routine Chat Times Carol & Jerry Jankura 2001-07-04 19:50:21 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Routine Chat Times