CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re EMC Screenshot and questions

Posted by Ray
on 2001-07-09 05:53:59 UTC
From: John Stevenson <machines@...>

<s>is there a site somewhere that carries a
>screenshot of what EMC looks like from the BDI install?

There is not a shot of the whole boot window. It looks pretty much like
every other windows desktop but the page at

www.linuxcnc.org/handbook/part3/editgui1.html

Shows what the graphical user interface (GUI) can look like and tells a
bit about how you can change appearance. The nice thing here is that with
a little work you can change that screen to be almost anything that you
want.

www.linuxcnc.org/handbook/intro/whatisemc2.html

Shows some alternative GUI's that have been written.

>Next question: EMC running servos's with step and direction input to
>Gecko 320's. If the motors are de-energised and the screws moved by
>hand will the display work as a DRO from the encoders?

No! The encoder feedback is only to the Gecko 320 and the PC knows nothing
of it. But I believe that you could parallel the encoder pulses some way
and use a Kulaga/Mauch DRO board and smdromod.o to drive the setup and
then it would. I haven't tried this DRO stuff yet but my guess is that the
only problem that you might encounter is an error when the actual position
gets to far away from commanded. But you can set this distance in the ini
file.

HTH

Ray

Discussion Thread

Ray 2001-07-09 05:53:59 UTC Re EMC Screenshot and questions