CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] a simple question?

ajr73@... wrote:

> hello all,
>
> i am new to the control aspect of a cnc and was wondering how the amps
> of the control board affect the motor? what i gathered so far is the
> more amps your amplifier/controller puts to the motor the faster your
> motor will turn, just my speculation so far, am i way off base?

Are we talking about stepper or servo motors?

Amps of the control board? I guess you mean ampere capacity of the
stepper driver or servo amplifier.

Both stepper and servo motors have a maximum instantaneous peak
current, above which the motor will be permanently damaged by
demagnetizing the permanent magnets. They also have a long-term
maximum current, above which the motor will overheat.

In servo motors, current is proportional to torque, and voltage is
proportional to speed.

If a stepper driver is not capable of providing the rated current of a
stepper motor, then the motor will not be able to develop full rated
torque. If a stepper driver is not capable of handling the needed voltage
at some speed, then it will limit the high speed capability of a particular
motor.

ajr73@p... 2001-07-15 14:07:06 UTC a simple question? Doug Harrison 2001-07-15 15:15:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] a simple question? cncdxf@a... 2001-07-15 16:43:31 UTC Re: a simple question? Jon Elson 2001-07-15 22:52:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] a simple question?