CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sheffield 3 Axis DRO Display

lew best wrote:

> Thanks Guys
>
> You're talking WAY over my head here; just thought DRO would be nice; easier
> to see accurately at my age than the dials. Think I'd be better off
> sticking with what I know; as I said my machines are just expensive toys.
> Who knows, in a few years DRO may become cheap like I've seen calculators
> go.

OK, what he's saying is that the devices that actually make the measurements
and convert that into electronic signals, are not included with the display
box.
The bad news is that all the expensive, precision work is in THOSE parts,
variously called readout spars, linear scales, glass scales, linear encoders.
Without them, the box is nearly junk. If you know electronics, the scales are
nearly interchangable, but the resoultion needs to match one of the settings
available on the readout box, or you get highly accurate readings that are not
in the rational units you expect. Like, the unit reads out 1 mm as 2.54 mm on
the display, or something like that.

If you don't want to spend a lot of time, wait for a DRO box that has the
scales
included in the package. You will pay more for it that way, of course, but
then
it is only a matter of mechanical mounting.

David M. Munro 2001-07-20 08:36:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sheffield 3 Axis DRO Display Jon Elson 2001-07-20 20:37:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sheffield 3 Axis DRO Display Jon Elson 2001-07-20 23:35:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sheffield 3 Axis DRO Display