CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Gerber! Leadscrews, PCB router experiment

on 2001-07-24 12:14:58 UTC
Hi Jon,

Mine look like that, if I can find them again ;>) Hope the kids didn't
discover them! Best I can do is a 440 tuning fork!

How about the ME08 "etching" bits. Can they be found elsewhere? I
don't really need a 10-pack!

Alan KM6VV

Jon Elson wrote:

> Alan Marconett KM6VV wrote:
>
> > Hi Jon,
> >
> > Carbide drills like these:
> >
> > http://www.thinktink.com/cgi-bin/carbide.cgi?page=imperial&step=10&start=88
> >
> > It's the Think and tinker URL. They have a $50 minimum, so I'll need to
> > get the ME bits too!
>
> Yes, that looks like the thing. But, you can get these somewhat cheaper
> at other locations. MSC has them, and so do some other machine tool
> catalogs. If you ever catch them on sale, you can get them a lot cheaper.
> I have a drawer full of used bits that I get for about $.65 each. They seem
> to be quite usable for my purposes.
>
> > I bought some surplus PCB drills at Haltek when they were still there.
> > How do I know if they're carbide or not?
>
> Generally, if they have 1/8" shanks and step down to the drill point, they
> are carbide. Examination with a 25 x magnifier will often make it obvious.
> If you look under strong magnification, ans when the thing looks as big as
> a 1/2" drill bit, and the flutes still look like mirrors, then it has to be
> carbide.
> The experts can tap the shank on their fingernail and listen for the ringing
> of the cantilevered drill bit. If it rings with a very high pitch, close to
> 10 KHz, then it is carbide for sure. HSS is magnetic, of course, but some
> other cutter steels are not.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-07-24 12:14:58 UTC Re: Gerber! Leadscrews, PCB router experiment Dan Mauch 2001-07-24 13:19:47 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gerber! Leadscrews, PCB router experiment Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-07-24 13:57:46 UTC Re: Gerber! Leadscrews, PCB router experiment