CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Tough times in the Motor City = Deals on used equipment (slightly off topic)

on 2001-07-25 09:36:20 UTC
hi

i m from Pakistan. i want to buy some machine but how can ????
i am aslo gear manufacturer.

SHABBIR

**********************At 01:06 PM 7/17/01 -0400, you wrote:
>I was just at a gear maunfacturing co.'s going out of business auction.
It seems that I set up my home shop about 5 years too soon, as the prices
now are about 1/2 of what they were then.
> Good manual Bridgeports, vari speed 1 1/2 hp head machines, with
powerfeeds sold for (all US $) $1000, and $750. A round ram machine only
brought $125. A Monarch EE 10"x20" lathe (complete with all tooling!) went
for $750, and a Cinci-tray top of a similar size couldn't get a bid at
$100. Neither could a 10" universal ID/OD Brown and Sharpe cylindrical
grinder. Suprisingly, an old 9" south bend model A went for $125, with
1/16" wear grooves in the ways.
>Delta floor standing 17" drill presses (3 phase) sold for $25 each. I
picked up 3 diamond grinding wheels for $10 total.
>6" x 12" surface grinders were all selling for $100-300 each, most with
magnetic chucks.
> If my shop was not so full that its more like a storage barn than a
functional shop, and my promise to my lovely wife that I would not get
three of anything, (I have two of most things already...) I would have a
new lathe, mill, cylindrical grinder, high-lo, and enough tooling to keep
me sorting through it for months.
> Thanks for listening, I just had to express my disbelief at the going
rate for used iron in Detroit. Most of the stuff was in better shape than
my machines, and selling for less! (maybe not if I consider the riggers
fee's...)