CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: That encoder stuff.

Posted by Elliot Burke
on 1999-09-23 08:55:48 UTC
I'll give it a try.
The light transmission through two contacted 50% duty gratings is a triangle
wave. Separate them and it approaches a sine wave, if you have a non-point
source (LED rather than laser). If spacing is increased to the Talbot
distance, and you have a LED (extended) source, you'll get the triangle
wave. Operating at half Talbot spacing gives close to sine wave.
Different types of SiPD have different linearities. CdS cells are very
nonlinear. SiPD cell are linear over at least 5-6 decades, if properly
amplified. Phototransistors are somewhere in between.

So if you want to get a high degree of interpolation, you'll want a known,
stable output waveform.
It also helps if it is easily invertable. With a trapezoidal waveform you
don't need a lookup table (or arcsin), like would be needed with a sine
wavefrom from the encoder.
Unfortunately, the waveform changes quickly from triangle as soon as the
gratings separate. The spacing sensitivity for the sine pattern is less
than for the triangle. Most designs don't want to give the space needed to
use the Talbot spacing.

At one time I did an experiment: what would be needed to get 1 microinch
linearity from a 100 lpi grating? A HP distance measuring interferometer
was use to measure grating translation. LED source and SiPD were used to
illuminate and detect signal.
A sine waveform with distortion corresponding to 2 microinch error was
obtained, but it was very fussy in terms of grating spacing.

We used rotary encoders to measure the angle of a scan mirror in weather
satellites. The entire weather satellite depended on a small light bulb,
with a spare or two. Several times in the mid 80's the weather satellites
failed, you may remember this- it was because the little light bulb failed.
We had hundreds of light bulbs in long term test facilities, but the ones in
orbit kept failing. Eventually they went to LED sources. This took a long
time because they didn't know how reliable they would be.
Other than the lightbulbs, these encoders were the same as the ones used
today.

Elliot Burke
___
___