CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE:Re: RE: That encoder stuff.

Posted by Elliot Burke
on 1999-09-23 23:12:00 UTC
The Talbot effect is easy to understand if you consider the many diffraction
orders of a square wave grating. Considering only a point source, each
diffraction order will propogate an image of a grating in the direction u,
when a is the grating period, w is the wavelength, and m the order of
diffraction:

a sin u = m w

(I wish there were theta's and lambda's on this keyboard)

At the Talbot distance these orders coincide in phase, reconstructing or
imaging the grating.
This is a remarkable effect, and i recommend trying to view it.

Another interesting effect is caused by partial spatial coherence. A source
of light is said to be spatially coherent if it can be focused to a point.
A laser is a good example. Light focused through a small pinhole can be
made nearly spatially coherent.
This is important because the projection of an object grating onto the
analyzing grating changes in phase with different points on the source
perpendicular to the grating lines. Thus (in general) a broad source cannot
be used. If the source has a grating of the correct frequency directly on
it, then the phases of all the projected grating lines will be the same.
This can give a tremendous increase in brightness over a single slit, and
allows the use of very high frequency gratings.

These grating systems at high frequencies are best analyzed as
interferometers, as indicated above. This will clear up lots of the
confusion, if you feel like wading through an optics textbook. Another step
forward in understanding them requires a more rigorous diffraction theory,
which is a bit beyond the charter of this list.

Elliot Burke

Message: 10