CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Rong FU 45/GEM 500

Posted by allan_r9@h...
on 2001-07-29 07:08:10 UTC
Hi Doug,

The EMC is up and running the 5 axis files (thanks to Ian Wright et
al) as a 3 axis machine on my Enco mill/drill. Still have to convert
my rotary table to CNC, then design and build a tilting mount for it
to complete my 5 axis capability. One thing I have noticed is the
max speed of travel is around 25IPM. I believe this is the limit of
the Geckodrives combined with the 5TPI screws installed (Kerk Motion
Products). I'm using steppermod as it seemed to run the motors
smoother and quieter than freqmod.
The GEM is being modelled in solids right now (Cadkey19), and I'm
about 1/3 done. When the machine is modelled, I will post the solid
model file in the Files section (hopefully it isn't too large). It
is summer here in southern Ontario, so my shop time is limited,
unless the weather is ugly.
Thanks to all for the help with the BDI EMC setup, and I will load
the file when it is done.

Allan

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Doug Fortune <pentam@h...> wrote:

> > ronginger@r... wrote:
> >
> > > We have been talking about the Rong Fu 45. I know there were a
couple
> > > people here doing CNC conversion on then a while back, does
anyone have
> > > recent info? Are there any photos somewhere of the conversion?
There are
> > > a couple in the Files section for this list, but they seem to
be real
> > > closeups of the ball nuts, we would like to see some more
general
> > > agrrangement type pics.
> > >
> > > An alternate is one of the A1S type mills which Grizzley and
others
> > > sell. Any experience on those?
>
> ptengin@a... wrote:
> > I was one of the guilty guys working on a RF-45. I've not gone
very far with
> > it since posting those photo's in the files section. There seems
to be so
> > many other real jobs in the way. :(
> >
> > I thought somebody bought a GEM for not much more than a RF.
Seems it is
> > smaller than a Bridgeport but not by much. This would be a nice
machine since
> > it uses a dovetail Z (bedmill) rather than a knee or round column.
>
> It was allan_r9@h... who wrote 2Jul01:
>
> I'm trying to setup EMC from the BDI disk to control a 5 axis mill
> (GEM 500, with 2 stacked rotary axis).
>
> Doug Fortune
> http://www.cncKITS.com
>
> BTW Allan, how is it coming? Did you try the new BDI installation
> cdrom?

Discussion Thread

ron ginger 2001-07-27 15:15:11 UTC Rong FU 45 allan_r9@h... 2001-07-27 18:07:46 UTC Re: Rong FU 45 ptengin@a... 2001-07-28 02:31:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rong FU 45 vrsculptor@h... 2001-07-28 05:57:43 UTC Re: Rong FU 45 - my $.02 Doug Fortune 2001-07-28 20:04:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rong FU 45 allan_r9@h... 2001-07-29 07:08:10 UTC Re: Rong FU 45/GEM 500