CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Code Red & Viruses in General - a plea

Posted by Tony Jeffree
on 2001-08-02 01:56:30 UTC
At 02:19 02/08/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>I don't really bother too much worrying about viruses because I trust myself
>enough to not download, visit or open anything I don't feel is 'safe'.

As with driving a car, whether or not you trust your own behaviour can
prove to be massively irrelevant - it is often the way the other guy
behaves that you have to worry about. You may find an Email in your
in-tray, from someone you trust, with an attachment you may even be
expecting them to send, and when you open the attachment, you discover
(very unpleasantly in some cases) that your system has been virus attacked,
because your "trusted" source doesn't deserve to be trusted & has managed
to infect his system. I have received infected files in just such
circumstances; happily, my own behaviour has been to worry a great deal
about such a possibility and keep my virus checking software up to
date. So far, I have detected all such viruses before they could do me any
damage.

So, in short, what you "feel" is safe doesn't cut it.

Regards,
Tony

Discussion Thread

Tony Jeffree 2001-08-01 01:31:43 UTC Re: Code Red & Viruses in General - a plea info.host@b... 2001-08-01 16:00:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Code Red & Viruses in General - a plea Tony Jeffree 2001-08-02 01:56:30 UTC Re: Re: Code Red & Viruses in General - a plea Fred Smith 2001-08-02 05:18:35 UTC Re: Code Red & Viruses in General - a plea