CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Encoder resolution?

allan_r9@... wrote:

> Hi Group,
> I just found 9 Sanyo Denki Step-Syn stepping motors - Type 103-820-2,
> 4.5V, 1.4A, 2 deg/step, with encoders attached. The encoder disk has
> 2 rows of slots, 45 slots each. Do I count 45, or 90 as the
> resolution of this encoder? There are 8 wires total going to the
> reader head. Can anybody out there provide info about this encoder.
> Are higher count disks avaiable? The motor has IBM p/n 2526734 on
> the back. Has anybody seen these before? I think it used to be a
> tape drive.

if the 45 slots are for 2 separate photocells, so each photocell sees only
45 slots per revolution, it will probably give 180 counts per rev to an
encoder counter. Funny, the motors also come out to 180 steps/rev!

If you changed the encoder wheel, then the photocells in the read head
would not line up properly with them.

allan_r9@h... 2001-08-11 19:21:32 UTC Encoder resolution? Jon Elson 2001-08-11 23:41:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Encoder resolution?