CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Advance controls Spindle

brian wrote:

> Hi, anybody know anything about Advance controls air bearing spindles??
> I have 4 and would like to be able to utilitize one. it has air,oil mist, exaust ports and a 3 pin molex connector for the motor. cul brian f.

It either has air bearings or oil mist, but I can't imagine using BOTH
on one spindle. Oil mist is used on ball bearings at high speed.
it supplies lube as well as cooling for the bearings.

Air bearings are essentially journal or sleeve bearings where the lubricant
is air. this requires a bearing with closer tolerances than for oil. About .0002"
is a common value.

I've rebuilt some Westwind (British) air bearing spindles.

The 3 pin connector is for 3-phase power, no doubt. I can run my Westwind
spindles on a regular VFD, at 80 V for 400 Hz. I had to add a 2 mH
inductor in series with each power line to the motor because this motor
is much lower inductance than the normal 240 V, 60 Hz 1 Hp motor.

I also worked on a Danly-Onsruud 15000 RPM router spindle that had
ball bearings and used oil mist.

If you can give me more info on your motor, i may be able to give you more
info.

brian 2001-08-14 17:19:22 UTC Advance controls Spindle Jon Elson 2001-08-14 21:39:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Advance controls Spindle brian 2001-08-15 04:11:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Advance controls Spindle starrymachinery@y... 2001-08-15 14:38:57 UTC Re: Advance controls Spindle brian 2001-08-16 12:02:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Advance controls Spindle