CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgeport Trivia, Question further down

Posted by Chris Paine
on 2001-08-17 17:59:30 UTC
I am in the Uk (West Sussex) As I understand it, the people running the tip
can get into trouble selling stuff on site, they would probably be happy to
do a deal if you ask them, I have bought computers from my local one but
they may find it awkward if its busy.
Bridgeport.......make sure its not a hydraulic one, we had some old moog
ones at work , unless you have 3phase they would not be much use even if it
didnt break down..
You might need something like a truck with a hiab "crane" on it to move it
if its ok as a lot of lifting tailgates are only a few hundred pound
capacity
Hope you have some luck.

Chris Paine
West Sussex
England
----- Original Message -----
From: <info.host@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 7:38 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgeport Trivia, Question further down

> (There is a question about bridgeports further down):
>
> It's absolutely insane what people throw away. And it's worse that you
can't
> get to it and use it again without being forced to do community service
for
> the rest of the year. Our tip has a huge furnace they where going to use
for
> ultra high heat melting of plastics (Nasty), but so many people objected
> it's just a land fill now. I've never seen much more than old cookers down
> there but the guys there are really evil about people taking things. If
they
> see you touch something they might want they come running over and try to
> scare you off telling you it's illegal, then they drive off with it at the
> end of the day.
>
> Back to where this post started. 3000lbs! Dammit that's heavy. We have
found
> there is an auction taking place close by with a series one bridgeport cnc
> up for grabs which is predicted to go for under £1000 (A rare sight in the
> UK so far for me). We are probably going to go down to have a look to see
> how much interest there is in it and possibly.... buy it. The problem...
no
> forklift. We own a Volvo estate which I suppose MIGHT just take a thousand
> pounds which would be the head and other bits but what can I do with the
> rest? Would a transit van be able to take it? Can I slide the knee and
base
> itself into the garage like the Egyptians with the logs of wood? I will be
> able to get another friend to help.
>
> I don't own a mill so if I get down there what sort of things should I be
> ready to take? What I mean is how much damage. First of all, rust. If it's
> on the way's does that not mean they'll need rescraping? The mill will
still
> have it's servos, should I expect them to still work smoothly and quietly?
> Should I expect the drivers for the servos to still be working since those
> look to be the most expensive parts of a servo system? I'm not too
bothered
> about cosmetic damage, that's what they make Hammerite for, but should I
> look out for chips and deep scratches on the bed? How much would a power
> supply for this mill cost? If the pendant isn't with the machine how do
you
> connect the existing drives to the parallel of a computer, is it the same
> termination?
>
> Sorry for all the questions but the auction starts next week and I think I
> should get down to see the mill before that if possible. Will there likely
> be a chance to look at it on the day before the auction?
>
> Thanks,
> John

Discussion Thread

info.host@b... 2001-08-16 17:04:50 UTC Bridgeport Trivia, Question further down jvicars@c... 2001-08-16 18:15:28 UTC Re: Bridgeport Trivia, Question further down Jon Elson 2001-08-16 20:46:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgeport Trivia, Question further down Chris Paine 2001-08-17 17:59:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgeport Trivia, Question further down info.host@b... 2001-08-18 05:24:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgeport Trivia, Question further down