CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: CNC Test File

Posted by Ray
on 2001-08-25 07:44:56 UTC
From: Jon Elson <elson@...>

William Scalione wrote:

>> Art,
>>
>> Just ran the test file on my CNC Router, servo motors, Gecko 340's
>> EMC, AMD450, 32 meg ram. 3 min 30 sec. Although it did make a few
>> noises I never heard before, it was generally smooth. Is this pretty
>> much just testing the accereration of a system? Since feedrate should
>> be the same on all machines, that should be the only variable, right?
>> Might not really be a good test unless it is tested on the same machine
>> with different controllers.
>
>No, it tests the ability of a CNC program to process G-code blocks,
>look ahead to detect places where acceleration is needed (change in
>direction) and plan ahead. This program has a bunch of very small moves
>for each pass across the surface.
>
>(Glad to hear that EMC did well on the test.)

That Sunday at NAMES when Fred suggested the test, I was able to get the
hexapod to run it at more than 90 ipm and completed the program in under 3
minutes. There is just to much drag on the sherline dovetails to do that
kind of speed without bigger motors.

I have seen the EMC report completing a block in less than 0.005 seconds
but somewhere in the range of 12-20 bps is more the norm.

Ray

Discussion Thread

Ray 2001-08-25 07:44:56 UTC Re: Re: CNC Test File