CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] M6 tool change command and the BDI

jguenthe wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am running the BDI EMC on a Pentium laptop to control a Sherline 5400
> mill. My question is this, given that I have the tool table properly loaded
> with descriptions of my tools and that there is obviously no tool changer on
> the Sherline what should happen when the following block of g-code is
> executed?
>
> N10 T10 M6
>
> My expected behavior is to be prompted to insert the proper tool and press
> run or resume. This is the behavior seen on DeskNC and others. What does
> happen is nothing, it's as if EMC just ignores the tool change command.

No, this is normal. EMC knows you don't have a tool changer, and so
this only tells EMC what tool entry in the tool table to use. (But, it really
doesn't do much with the info, as it needs specific commands to set the
tool length and radius compensation.)

> I may have something configured incorrectly and if so I would appreciate
> help with this problem. I really don't want to have a separate program for
> each tool change in making a part.

What you need is something like the following :
N10 M01 (Insert .25" end mill)

this will cause the program to pause, and you can resume with the S key.

jguenthe 2001-08-29 07:37:05 UTC M6 tool change command and the BDI Joel Jacobs 2001-08-29 08:33:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] M6 tool change command and the BDI Jon Elson 2001-08-29 09:55:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] M6 tool change command and the BDI jguenther@v... 2001-08-29 13:54:01 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] M6 tool change command and the BDI Matt Shaver 2001-08-29 17:47:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] M6 tool change command and the BDI