CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: IO bus

"Arne Chr. Jorgensen" wrote:

> Jon wrote:
>
> >I made up my own personal control bus, that uses a printer port to
> >control up to 256 devices, with up to 256 registers per device.
>
> Say a few more words about this, if you have any schematics, it
> would be nice to look at them. I looks like you use a line for
> selecting an address register, a strobe line, and a data latch.
> Give us some info of what it can do, - do you know how many feet
> of cable you can attach without problems ?

This uses some of the control outputs to select which one of 3 write
strobes it generates, device select, register select, and register write.
The 8 printer data bits are used normally. For readback, it reads
4 bits at a time through the sense bits of the standard parallel port.

I've run 30 feet (~10 M) of cable from my interface with no problem
at all. I think we've run close to 100' on occasion.

Arne Chr. Jorgensen 1999-10-02 05:54:22 UTC IO bus Jon Elson 1999-10-02 18:33:54 UTC Re: IO bus