CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: hex turning

Posted by Paul Corner
on 1999-10-03 09:41:17 UTC
On Thu, 01 Jan 1970, you wrote:
> From: batwings@...
>
> Need off-top of head ideas about source code in any language for hex
> turning and threading using spindle encoder. I have done this with two
> controlled axes but not with encoder input. Code, sources, self-help etc
> are all welcome. Many thanx!!

Hi Hoyt

I've just come across some info on turning a hex or any other polygon on a
lathe.
It consists of a secondary spindle mounted parallel to the C axis and rotating
in the same direction. On this spindle, is mounted a side mill with two, three,
or four carbide inserts fitted. The C axis and the cutter are geared together,
at a ratio chosen to give the desired number of flats, and as the spindle is
traversed along the Z axis, a polygon is cut !!
I have details for a device to fit onto a turret mill, and a diagram for a CNC
lathe application.

> Camping/Caving - http://www.freeyellow.com/members/batwings/caving.html
Those caves of yours sound interesting. I must drop in sometime.

Regards, Paul.

Discussion Thread

batwings@x... 1999-09-28 00:35:31 UTC hex turning Paul Corner 1999-10-03 09:41:17 UTC Re: hex turning