CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE:FastCAD for Linux?

Posted by Elliot Burke
on 1999-10-05 08:30:27 UTC
FastCAD is a 2D only program. I used it 4 years ago, before the need for 3D
and file compatability forced me accept AutoCAD. It is very fast, compared
with AutoCAD. This is less of an issue now, for the size projects I work on
AutoCAD is fast enough on a 450 MHz computer.
I wonder if there is much need for 2D CAD when we are working with CAM?

Elliot Burke
___

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 10:26:18 GMT
From: john@... (John Stevenson)
Subject: Re: CAD source code

> From: Dan Falck <dfalck@...>
>Subject: CAD source code
>
>Intellicad has released it's source code. Let's hope that some CAM company
>would do the same someday.
>You can get the Icad source at:
>
><http://www.intellicad.org/>www.intellicad.org
>
>I am not a programmer like some of you guys, but it sure looks interesting.
>Maybe even just a small part of this stuff might be useful for a Linux
CAD/DAM
>system.
>
>Thanks,
>Dan
I have been following the thread on CAD and so far there doesn't seem to be
linux version that is OK.
The best one so far has some very bad press attached to it.
It's early days yet but have a look at www.fastcad.com and go to the Discuss
page and under Version 7 and also under Cross platform issues there is a
mention
about porting Fastcad to Linux.
This is a small company and you can talk to Mike Riddle who writes the
program.
They actually do deliver what they talk about.
If and when, and I personally think it will be more a when than if they do
release a linux version it will be way ahead of anything that's available
for
Linux.
There are also demo's on the same site to give an idea of what the program
is
like.
--

Regards,

John Stevenson at
L Stevenson [Engineers]
Nottingham, England.

Discussion Thread

Elliot Burke 1999-10-05 08:30:27 UTC RE:FastCAD for Linux?