CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Taig -vs- Sherline Mill for CNC Conversion

on 2001-09-03 20:36:11 UTC
I bought a Bport Series I with a Boss 5 about 4 months ago and
retrofitted it with geckos etc... After doing this I found that this
machine was not very good for small work.

So I bought a Taig with the nema 23 motor mounts already fitted. I
put some 190 oz in Pac Sci steppers on it and use the same drivers
and power supply for the taig as I use for the bridgeport. (Simply
add the resistors when I want to use the Taig.)

I am EXCEEDINGLY impressed with the Taig. Very nice construction.
Mostly steel. I don't see how you could improve on this machine for
the price they sell it for. I do not think you will be dissapointed
with this machine. Compared to the Sherlines I have seen it is in a
different class.

It was very nice having the motor mounts already in place. Sometimes
you need to getting working on projects as opposed to
fixing/improving the machines :)

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Alan Trest" <stickman@d...> wrote:
> I have decided to go with either a Taig or Sherline mill for my
> conversion. Question is, I have an older 5000 series that I could
> update with new motor ect..... Buy a new 5400 or 2000 series CNC
> ready Sherline( can't help wondering about how rigid the 2000
series
> mill is.(comments welcome) or go with a CNC Ready Taig (comments
> welcome)
>
> Will be using driver board from Stepperworld with 118 oz steppers.
>
> Any and all comments welcome.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alan Trest
> Pensacola, Florida

Discussion Thread

Alan Trest 2001-09-03 17:22:24 UTC Taig -vs- Sherline Mill for CNC Conversion Carol & Jerry Jankura 2001-09-03 17:55:48 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig -vs- Sherline Mill for CNC Conversion garyswindell@h... 2001-09-03 20:36:11 UTC Re: Taig -vs- Sherline Mill for CNC Conversion Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-09-04 11:11:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig -vs- Sherline Mill for CNC Conversion