CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Multi tool sector or engineering future

Posted by Sven Peter
on 2001-09-12 20:19:58 UTC
Hello John,
You become what you make out of your life.

Don't be too pessimistic. Ok, metal working industries are
endangered species! But why?
They simply slept on their laurels and did not improve and
reorientate on time.

Imagine 13 years ago I was unemployed for one hole year because
in Costa Rica were no jobs for foreign automation engineers.
And in germany I would have built breweries - And I not even drink!
Well the solution was: I made up my own traditional machine shop,
practically making a living from my fathers hobby.
Then friends asked me if I could fix their machines.
The way from design to repair was not far.
Now there are people waiting for me to be free for up to 8 month
in order to rebuild their machinery or modernize it.

Since two clients abused my confidence so that I nearly went bankrupt
I do not care any more whether I work as engineer or mechanics, as
long as I feed my family. My pride got reduced to a healthy level.
And funny, since then the really interesting jobs come to me by
themselves. I pick the raisins and now I am pretty pleased with
my situation. Because I do what I love to do (it is actually part of my
heart blood) and know that my work is for the benefit of this country.

My suggestion for you is the following:
Get experience as much as you can on as diverse areas as you can.
Listen to the old guys who share their experience and watch
their hands on site. Stick your nose into the tuff jobs and take
them as challenges. Once solved it you will be better prepared for
the next task. (there are no problems only challenges!)

Ask yourself what you want to do IN and WITH your life.
Keep in mind when you decide your profession that you will have to
do it until retirement, so really search within your deepest inside
what is in you. (Granny always preached: "Never try to be anything
different as you are!") Be honest with yourself!

Then once you made up these two questions go for it.
Best way is a work studyship sometimes called sandwich course.
There you get practical experience in a real world factory and study
the theory in university. And by the way you earn your studies
yourself. Remind that when you finish university you still need
some 4 years experience until you may call yourself engineer.

Just some tips I got and pass over to you:
-The engineer who isn't at the same time a good mechanics isn't
worth a penny!
-(my aunt, excellent engineer! said: The important thing is to get a
good technical foundation. The clerk's knowledge you get very easy
later.
But you are a technician or not, there you can not improvise.)
-Go and ask first the operator about his ideas and needs for the task.
-Get involved! You will never be able to lead personnel
if you cannot make the task yourself.
-The chemic's of people make up a team. A small harmonic team is way
more efficient than any big organization.
-Business is applicated psycologics.
-Be flexible and become an all-round talent than easily you
find your personnel nitch.
-Step by step you get far,and indeed one step at a time is not
difficult.
-Read the book from Og Mandino. The world greatest sales man.

Times might be difficult but good hands on technicians will always be
needed and are flexible. By the way it is easy for them to become
independent some day.

Head up kid! and take your life into your own hands!
Life is better and more interesting than any film!
Any vice leads you away from real life.
Just don't forget: Never try to be something else that is not in you.
I wish you best luck.

Your Sven Peter

info.host@... wrote:

> > Kid, I wish you very good luck. You are on the right way to
> > engineering.
> > Sven Peter.
>
> Thank you Sven, I'd be interested to know if engineering is heading the
> right way for me. I'm watching 400+ ship builders being made redundant at
> our local ship yard. Just next door Stone Manganese, the people who cast the
> biggest ship prop.s in the world, are balanced on closing. I'm remembering
> the man from the steel works telling me that "In a few years there is going
> to be a huge dept of metal workers". I can see how he has drawn that
> conclusion when the only people who do any sort of labour work at school are
> those who have failed at more studious things. And the people I've known for
> the last 14 years going to these labour programs have a deep hate for the
> subject or absolutely no grasp of it. With any sort of labour being drop out
> work at the moment I can see how there will be problems at some point. The
> world doesn't just stop needing steel over night. Hopefully there will be a
> bit more interest in it soon, this area had always been very proud of it's
> ships. The Titanic has our name painted on it's back. It is very likely that
> our ship yard Lairds is going to disappear.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Discussion Thread

Sven Peter 2001-09-12 20:19:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Multi tool sector or engineering future Art Eckstein 2001-09-13 14:40:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Multi tool sector or engineering future