CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

CNC Speeds

Posted by john@x...
on 1999-10-08 03:59:33 UTC
><< Dan Mauch wrote:

> > From: "Dan Mauch" <dmauch@...>
> >
> > Jon 800 IPM is nothing. In the a CNC magazine they are talking about 2300
> > IPM!

> 2300 IPM on lightweight optical stages is not too surprising. But, I can't
> imagine a large milling machine moving that fast.
> Ahh, I see where the odd number comes from, ~ 1 M/S.
> Anyway, that's 191 FPM, or just over 2 Mi/Hr, which doesn't seem all that
> fast. Still, my machine rocks when it accelerates to 100 IPM, I wouldn't
> want to go much faster.

> Jon >>

>That large CNC router I use at work goes 900 inches a minute on G0s. It don't
>seem fast when you need to take 2 or 300 passes ten feet long....

>Peter

>P.S. Yes, I cut surfacing passes on the g0 to max out the speed. On G1, it
>will only go 2 or 300 Inches a minute.

I have just finished installing a new laser cutter for one of my customers.
Its a Swiss Bystronic machine www.bystronic.com
This machine doesn't use ball screws but precision rack and pinion drives with
twin servos at either end of the beam to keep it straight.
This is the second machine I have installed for this company this year.

These travel at 179 metres per minute which if my maths are right is 587 ft per
min so multiply by 12 gives 7,044 IPM

In the park up position these are at the opposite diagonal corner from where you
operate it from that's about 3 1/2 metres away, about 12 feet. When we ran the
first one under test it crawled to it's start position, did its pre check
routine of finding out where it was them moved to X0, Y0, at 179 metres / min

Tool boxes went flying, people got trod on and I'm sure there were some soiled
underclothes. Now we are used to them it's not a worry but anybody new still
jumps a mile.
The output from these is fantastic. One job is to cut spanners from 1/8" steel
sheet very similar to the ones you get with an angle grinder. This cuts them
faster than you could trace round one. They get 600 per sheet and it takes 20
minutes per sheet including loading and unloading.
--

Regards,

John Stevenson at
L Stevenson [Engineers]