CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Salvaging Robot Servo Amps

joevicar3@... wrote:

> I have a 4 Axis robot with DC PM servomotors and the complete drive
> system. What type of input signal to the Servo amps require

generally, most separate servo amps use a +/- 10V velocity command.
But, there are others that use digital PWM signals, or serial command
strings, etc.

> and how
> can they be made to work with Step/Dir controllers?

I have heard there are step/dir to analog converters, but they will
pretty much waste the smooth operation of the analog input servo amp.

> Is there a simple way to bypass the original control with a new PC
> control?

Sure. EMC is a CNC software package that was originally designed
for robots, but will also control CNC machines, hexapods, etc.
I'd suggest you use the Servo-to-Go card or my parallel port
axis control card set (see http://pico-systems.com/PPMC.html )

> I want to take the motors and amps off and put them on a milling
> machine (of course)

This should work, assuming the motors are a good match for the machine,
in terms of torque and speed range.

> I also have a GMF Fanuc Robot which I think has AC Servos. I am
> intimidated by these but am curious about converting it as well.

If you are moving the whole package (ie. motors and matching amps)
then I don't see any reason to be intimidated.

joevicar3@h... 2001-09-20 17:13:04 UTC Salvaging Robot Servo Amps Jon Elson 2001-09-20 21:41:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Salvaging Robot Servo Amps