CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Complete Beginner (sherline cnc)

on 2001-09-22 11:05:02 UTC
Rob:

I've added the prices onto my list so you have something to compare. I have
no idea about the quality of the FlashCUT system, other than "a Sherline
mill is a Sherline mill" so any differences will be in the software drivers,
and possibly the motors. The prices include any dealer discounts, but do not
include shipping charges, so they're bound to be different than what's in
the Sherline Catalog. Most commercial systems use your computer, so my
"on-hand" system would also be used with the FlashCut system unless it did
not have the power (CPU sped, type, and memory) to run the system. The
Zenith seems to do fine for running the machine, and I use my Sony Notebook
to run the CAD/CAM part. Information is transferred between the units via
floppy diskette.

When considering a package, you should first have a good idea of your
intended usage, your capabilities and interests, and exactly what your hobby
is. My intended usage is to support my model railroading vice as well as
make some gauges, etc. for my woodworking vice. Unfortunately, I also have
an interest in making computers run things and enjoy working with the
software that drives them. While not quite a vice, that interest, coupled
with my desire to spend as little money as possible, did influence my
selection. If I were unwilling to build the Camtronics kits, then I'd
probably have purchased the Gecko stepper drivers, based on several
favorable comments and no unfavorable comments on this list. I've not seen
any unfavorable comments about Camtronics either, which also influenced my
decison.

I have the ability to assemble and debug electronic systems and was willing
to do so if the price differential between the kit and an assembled unit was
sufficient. In the case of the stepper driver, I saved about 70% by
purchasing the Camtronics kit instead of the assembled Gecko drivs. However,
the Camtronics drives handle only 2 amps while the Geckos handle something
like 5-7 amps, so it was not an "apples to apples" comparison based solely
on price.

If I were doing this commercially, where my time was worth some money, then
my choices would have been different and I would have considered the
FlashCUT, AHHA, and similar systems and would probably have used the
"minimum" as the Geckos rather than the Camtronics kits. Again, it all
depends on where your priorities and interests lie.

Here's a basic list of the CNC system I'm working on:

Tool: Sherline 2000 mill
Motor Coupling Kit: $162
Motors: $123
Motor Drivers: $159
Power Supply: $65
Miscellaneous Hdwe: $150
Computer: On-Hand;
G-Code Interpreter: $10
G-Code Converter: $0
CAD Program:
VectorCAD-9 $15
Intellicad-2001 $0

If you add my costs, the CNC tool cost me about $700 over the cost of the
mill itself. If memory serves me correctly, Sherline's model 2000 mill lists
at something like $875. I bought mine locally as a package that included the
compound cross slide, set of tools, threading attachment and, as the TV
barker would say, "a whole lot more" for a little more than $1000. The power
supply is highly regulated (you don't need a highly regulated supply) and
was purchased used from the local electronics surplus outfit. Everything
else is new.

Now, I had to build the driver (Camtronics sells kits) and then package it.
The same goes for adding the power supply. I may have to upgrade my
VectorCAD to their full VectorCAD/CAM package if I'm unsatisfied with the
G-Code generation part of the system. I'm not sure if FlashCUT includes the
CAD/CAM part of the package with their equipment.

-- Carol & Jerry Jankura
Strongsville, Ohio
So many toys, So little time....