CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Complete Beginner (sherline cnc)

on 2001-09-21 20:22:08 UTC
Rob:

Although many of us frequent several of these groups, your question would
also be a good post for the Sherline list as well.

Now, to answer your questions as best I can.

First off, you're no crazier than the rest of us who frequent this list.

Secondly, I'm also a newbie in the field of home machining and,
interestingly enough, was a project manager for some manufacturing equipment
building tasks that I wrote some of the machine vision software for as well.
Your background indicates that you are able to think and analyze and learn
from your mistakes (and, believe me, you will make mistakes when you cut
metal). Your idea of getting into metalworking to advance your hobbies is
sane, as are your reasons for thinking about CNC. Even if you don't sell
anything, the ability to make several copies of the same piece for your own
consumption makes CNC worth your while.

Third, regarding Sherline equipment.... I'm a bit biased since I've
purchased the Sherline 2000 mill and the 4400 lathe. I'm in the final stages
of adding CNC to my mill. As long as the size of your parts stay within the
envelope that the Sherline can produce, I feel that Sherline is a good
purchase. I base this comment on three bases: First, the Tabletop machining
book by Joe Martin shows a number of models and small parts that have been
successfully built using Sherline equipment. Second, my own very limited
experiences have indicated that it will be suitable for building the brass
locomotives that I want to build once I learn to use the equipment properly.
As I've analyzed some of my failures, every one of them could be attributed
to something that I did, and not to something that the equipment couldn't
do. And, finally, I have a belief that the equipment should be sized for the
parts that you intend to build. I would no sooner try to use a Sherline
lathe to machine a piston for an automobile than I would attempt to use a
bridgeport to make something as small as a railing stanction for an HO Scale
locomotive.

I'd suggest that you also take a look Taig equipment. They also offer a mill
and lathe, but not nearly the assortment of accessories that Sherline
provides. They're roughly in the price range of the Sherline equipment.
While making the various clamps and fixtures that your parts will require is
a good way to start learning to machine things, it's nice not to HAVE to
make everything that you need because it's not readily available.

The Taig lathe uses a rack and pinion arrangement to drive the cross-slide
along the Z-Axis which makes adding a threading attachment to the Taig lathe
more difficult than adding one to the Sherline lathe.

On the CNC front, Sherline makes an excellent set of motor mounts for their
product. Arguably the best in the business for that size machine. Their
customer service is also first rate.

Depending on your situation, you may want to purchase one of Sherline's
complete machine shop packages (Mill, Lathe, and useful accessores) to save
a few bucks. Also, use the Sherline web site to find mail order vendors and
ask individual vendors to provide a quote for the equipment you choose to
buy. Most vendors do not maintain stock, but have the factory drop-ship the
product, which means that you'll always be getting "fresh" stock rather than
something that's sat on the vendor's shelf. Expect to get discounts ranging
between 10% - 20% with the majority of mail order vendors offering 10%.

Here's a basic list of the CNC system I'm working on:

Tool: Sherline 2000 mill
Motor Coupling Kit: Sherline
Motors: Sherline (double ended so you can attach the handwheels)
Motor Drivers: Camtronics 2 amp bipolar
Computer: Zenith Z-Star-EX (486DX2/50)
G-Code Interpreter: TurboCNC (Source code in TurboPascal available with
registration)
G-Code Convertor: ACEConverter from Yeager Software
CAD Program: VectorCAD-9
Intellicad-2001

-- Carol & Jerry Jankura
Strongsville, Ohio