CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Beginning CAD question

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2001-09-23 17:51:20 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Dan Statman" <dan.statman@r...> wrote:
>So if I can make a drawing that starts at y=0 and ends at y=3.600 I
> should have the right size for my application.
>
> I would like to draw a picture of a Sine wave that traverses three
complete
> periods (from 0 to 3.600") with an amplitude of 0.250". This
should be easy
> if you know how to use the program, but I don't so could somebody
tell me
> how to do it??? Once I learn how to do this one, I should be able
to modify
> the process to plot any function I may want.

In order to cut this on your mill, you will need to convert the sine
wave to a series of short lines that approximate the contour. To do
this in Vector Cad, we use a spread sheet program, and create the X &
Y values every so often (say every 60 degrees), and maybe have an
input for amplitude too in this case so you can control the width of
the sine wave relative to the ring width. The points are then
imported with the plc function and a spline is plotted through them.
The points are formated as:

point(x,y,z);

A sample of a similar process is shown at the page on the solar
cooker:

http://www.vectorcam.com/cooker

You can use the Vector demo from our web site to experiment. It will
either save the file as a DXF or output G-code directly.

Hope that helps you a little.

Best Regards, Fred Smith- IMService
Listserve Special discounts and offers are at:
http://209.69.202.197/cced.html

imserv@... Voice:248-486-3600 or 800-386-1670 Fax: 248-486-
3698

Discussion Thread

Dan Statman 2001-09-23 17:30:02 UTC Beginning CAD question Fred Smith 2001-09-23 17:51:20 UTC Re: Beginning CAD question Ian Wright 2001-09-24 10:34:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Beginning CAD question Dan Statman 2001-09-24 15:10:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Beginning CAD question Dan Statman 2001-09-24 15:15:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Beginning CAD question