CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Autolube?

on 2001-10-02 08:00:38 UTC
Roger,

One thing I noticed on my old Index Milling Machine
(full size - model 555) was the one shot lube didn't
seem to lubricate all the outlet ports. It was clogged
in some of the lines.

In one of Guy Lautard's books, he mentioned pouring
some way lube on your finger. The roll your finger
and thumb over the lube. If you get a long string
as a result, the lube has pariffin (wax to us in the
USA) in it, and should NOT be used for auto lube machines.
Alas, I finally realized why the one shot was clogged.
Some brands have pariffin, others do not. Only way to
know is to try the "finger and thumb" test.

Thankfully my machine was used to mill graphite blocks
in the past, and was so full of powered graphite it
didn't have any wear in places that the lube quit reaching
years ago.

With the minimum use (home shop machinist), I use an oil
can to manually apply way lubricant each time I go to use
the machine.

Tom Walter

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., vrsculptor@h... wrote:
> My Tree mill has both a manual (Bueler) one shot and a 110V power
> oiler. When I scrapped the original controller I lost my electrical
> connection to the power oiler. Any opinions on how often the power
> oiler should be activated? I was thinking of tieing a timer circuit
> to the spindle run/enable. I'm not completely convinced its worth
> messing with as the one shot hits the same places.
>
> Roger

Discussion Thread

vrsculptor@h... 2001-10-01 23:18:26 UTC Autolube? Sven Peter 2001-10-02 05:12:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Autolube? roundrocktom@y... 2001-10-02 08:00:38 UTC Re: Autolube?