CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] bobcad-maxnc

"P. J. Hicks" wrote:

> Gentlemen,
> I have been lurking out of sight for a few days trying to make sence of some
> of the material posted. By that I mean I am a beginner in CNC with a Maxnc
> conversion to my Sherline mill. Now the problem I hope you might help me
> with; How do I tell Bobcad that the part I want machined is thicker than
> one pass of the tool? When I do the recommended method in the manual it
> seems to make only two passes the return to start. I know it can be done
> but can't figure how?

Generally, you need to create an offset in the CAD drawing that will be used
as the "cut line" for the roughing passes. You then point to this offset when
you have the CAM section write the G-code for that cut. Then, in the
same program, you have it go to a good starting point, and then cut to the
actual part line to make the finishing pass.

One dirty way to do it is to tell Bobcad that the tool will be larger than the
actual tool size. It will then cut the part with excess material, so a
finishing
pass can clean it up, when given the actual tool size. You have to be fairly
careful with this trick, as in some cases it could cause problems.

P. J. Hicks 2001-10-02 19:31:31 UTC bobcad-maxnc Jon Elson 2001-10-02 20:14:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] bobcad-maxnc Fred Smith 2001-10-03 07:26:24 UTC Re: bobcad-maxnc