CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC: why do I have so many problems?

whollid1@... wrote:

> 3: EMC has the nasty habit of taking a program and running it but if
> there is a glitch in the g-code ( say a restated g42 prior to an
> intervening g-40 )then it will freeze up and I need to abort and
> start from scratch after editing the code. does backplot have the
> ability to verify the code or is ther a way to make EMC itself check
> the code first for "unrunables", and how do you setup backplot?

Geez, this particular one is so easy to check, I can't believe it has
been hanging around as long as people say.

> 6: as the prospect of servos becomes greater, does it seem more
> logical to use step and dir outputs with a geckodrives or is there an
> advantage to using emc to monitor the encoder itself

Yes, there are several advantages. if you want to use the machine
in manual mode, you can't use step and direction with the feedback
at the motor driver. if you have either a stepper system with feedback
to the computer, or an analog servo system, then the computer always
knows where the machine is, even when it is manually moved in E-stop
mode.

> 8: if I get a servo system off ebay with a isa card is emc so
> customizable that i can point it to the specific adresses or does emc
> only work with some proprietary cards/systems ( this question is
> mainly for future full sized macine work )

There are only two kinds of analog servos supported. The first was
the Servo-to-Go cards, and the second is my Parallel Port Axis Control,
which doesn't even go in the computer. Since all the various servo
motion cards have totally proprietary interfaces, you need software
drivers specific to each card.

> 9: is emc finicky about monitor resolution, because when I changed to
> a lower resolution setting it went to a 100% lockup rate, that was
> right before I Fragged the system running xconfigurator

The only limit is that it needs at least a virtual window of 1024 x 768, I
think. If you run at 640 x 480, you can't see enough of the XEMC or
TkEMC window to use it properly. 800 x 600 works pretty well, even
though a little bit of the window is cut off. I don't want to put an
expensive monitor in the shop, with the fumes, splashed coolant and
metal chips.

whollid1@m... 2001-10-12 17:17:41 UTC EMC: why do I have so many problems? ccs@m... 2001-10-12 18:26:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC: why do I have so many problems? Paul 2001-10-12 19:42:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC: why do I have so many problems? Tim Goldstein 2001-10-12 20:09:45 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC: why do I have so many problems? William Scalione 2001-10-12 21:36:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC: why do I have so many problems? Jon Elson 2001-10-12 22:11:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC: why do I have so many problems? Paul 2001-10-13 05:04:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC: why do I have so many problems? ccs@m... 2001-10-13 12:03:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC: why do I have so many problems? Tim Goldstein 2001-10-13 12:28:47 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC: why do I have so many problems?