CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC Shaper

Posted by beer@s...
on 2001-10-19 11:07:11 UTC
On 18 Oct, CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com wrote:
> From: Paul <Paul.Corner@...>
> Add a rotary axis to the clapper box along with A, B, and C axis on the
> table.... Make the stroke start & stop points, and length programmable...
> (Tool changer is probably a bit OTT).

No, now you've gone nuts. <G>

A milling machine is still the better choice for shapes of that
complexity. The real virtue of a shaper is the extreme rigidity in the
planes of interest. Adding motorized rotary motion to either the
clapper or the table defeats that somewhat.

Note that stop point and length ARE programmed, by virtue of defining
number of strokes and feed per stroke.

It would be nice, though, to have the machine go back and forth over
the work automatically ... hmm, I'm finding myself thinking about
writing a Gcode-like language for shapers ...

Alan

--

Alan Rothenbush | The Spartans do not ask the number of the
Academic Computing Services | enemy, only where they are.

Discussion Thread

beer@s... 2001-10-17 12:02:12 UTC CNC Shaper Paul 2001-10-17 15:10:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Shaper beer@s... 2001-10-19 11:07:11 UTC Re: CNC Shaper Michael Milligan 2001-10-19 14:21:57 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC Shaper