CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC UPDATE

Posted by Fred Proctor
on 1999-10-13 07:36:17 UTC
Dan Mauch wrote:

> I see that they have an 08-Oct-1999 version of emc on the ftp site.
> I was looking for the proper way to UPDATE the emc version files. I had the
> instructions but lost them. Any one have them?

If your EMC PC is on the internet, you can ftp the emc-08-Oct-1999.tgz
file into the /usr/local/nist directory, and do this:

tar xzvf emc-08-Oct-1999.tgz
./install

If you have to take files to the EMC PC via floppy, here are Ray Henry's
instructions:

FILES ON FLOPPY DISKS

The first thing I'd do is make a directory called /usr/local/nist
Type in: mkdir /usr/local/nist [enter]

Now move into that directory
Type in: cd /usr/local/nist [enter]
The prompt should show nist on the right end. You can stay in this
directory and copy files to it.

Insert the first floppy into your machine.
Type in: mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy [enter]
After a second of looking at your floppy it should return your screen to
your root prompt. This mount command will allow you to work with floppy
files in your /mnt/floppy directory.

Type in: cp /mnt/floppy/* /usr/local/nist
After a bit of floppy disk grinding you should get the prompt again.
Check
to see that the file was copied.
Type in: ls (lower case L) [enter]
You should see a list of the files in the nist directory. At this point
there will be just one emc-**-***-1999.aa* if you copied it.

Type in: umount /dev/fd0
After a second you should get the prompt again. If you get a "can't
umount
message" it is probably because umount will not work when you are in the
/mount/floppy directory.

When umount is successful you'll need to repeat the mount, copy, ls, and
umount commands for each of the disks. You don't need to type in each
command every time, at the prompt, he up arrow will scroll you back to
the
previous commands. Just up arrow to the one you want and [enter].

FILES ON YOUR HARD DRIVE

When you've got a directory listing all of the emc floppy files in it,
all
you have to do is put them together. You can do this with the cat
command.
It will be easiest if your prompt and the files are in your nist
directory.
Type in: cat emc* > emc-dd-Mmm-yyyy.tgz [enter] (you should replace the
dd-=Mmm_yyyy with the proper release numbers.) After a bit of work you
should see the prompt again.
Type in: ls -l (that's lower case L's not one's) and see if you got that
file. It should be listed as a 5+ meg file.

UNPACK THE EMC FILE

Now you can unpack the tar file.
Type in: tar -xzvf emc-dd-Mmm-yyyy.tgz

>From that command you will get a set of files that include a congratulatory
message from Fred that is listed as readme. (You can read it with: more
readme [enter])

INSTALL

In the nist directory, with the emc file unpacked, Type in: ./install
[enter] and you are on your way.

When all of the compile is finished, you can move into the emc
directory.
Type in: cd emc [enter] and you should have a bunch of files in that
directory.

If you have installed the emc-17-Sep-1999.tgz and have a working xwindow
you can run the simulation machine.
Type in: ./sim.run [enter] (I get an error message on first run so I
just
repeat this command a second time)

This should start Xemc and let you play. (the sim machine won't home
out
but it will let you try most of the functions)

Discussion Thread

Dan Mauch 1999-10-11 06:21:16 UTC Re: EMC UPDATE Fred Proctor 1999-10-13 07:36:17 UTC Re: EMC UPDATE