CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: DON'T CUT THOSE WIRES !! and My CNC Mill retrofit project

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 1999-10-13 04:04:58 UTC
[I got some knowledgeable responses to my plea for help with the proposed
"brain transplant" for my old CNC mill. They are all bundled into the
following mega-reply. If this messes up the archiving structure of the
list, let me know, and I'll go back to replying separately to each message.]

Andrew

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 03:29:50 +0200
From: "Arne Chr. Jorgensen" <instel@...>
Subject: DON'T CUT THOSE WIRES !!

Hi,

I had already turned off the machine, and I am crazy to fire it up
again. ( I should have been in bed )

Is it Andrew who have this Loveboy - something ? ( I have no time
to find out who said what, and to whom )

[I call it "The Beast". (We'd have to be on better terms before I started
calling it "Loveboy".) Actually, it's a Ramco/Leadwell with a Lovejoy AC
speed controller.]

But, I think it is wise not to cut wires, and first try to see if
the machine can work as it is. TTY is teletype port, and yes, it
is a current loop, most of the time.

You can feed G-codes from any program and computer. These often
used paper hole tapes, and don't always have a high baud rate, but
- it is so much faster than the movement of the axis anyway.

[I thought of trying this, but the machine's controller seems to be in such
a fragile state of health that I figured it would be best put out of its
misery. Doing this, I can easily see getting into a situation where I
wouldn't know what was screwing things up- the patched-in drip-feed, the
old computer, or the associated maze of circuitry.]

I have always found that it is very wise to try to get something
running as it is designed, before doing modifications. If you want,
I can probably give you a few ideas. Old ISA board IBM serial
cards, do have this current loop, on the normal RS232 DB25
connector. There should be no problem to download programs. At
least I can tell you how to wire the serial port card.

//ARNE

[Sure, I'd like to hear about that. It certainly would be the cheapest way
to go. There are a couple of RS 232 ports, but they aren't connected to
DB-25 cables- they have round plugs instead.]

Message: 4