CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

half step shaping was Re: Newbie question. Second try

on 2001-11-02 12:27:36 UTC
Hi Antonio,

Let me quote from an earlier post from Mariss:

" Here are the rules:

4-wire motor. No problem. Use the rated current and you will be fine.
No options here.

6-wire motor (unipolar). This is the same as the 4-wire except the
windings are center-tapped and the center taps are brought out.

You have two choices here; half-winding or full winding. You use half-
winding if yours is a high speed application or full winding if it is
a low speed one. Use the unipolar current rating for half-winding and
1/2 that for full winding.

8-wire motor. The same as a 4 wire motor except the windings are
center-tapped and brought out as seperate wires for the center tap
instead of being internally connected.

The performance in parallel is only 2% better in parallel compared to
half-winding connection on a 6-wire motor. The series connection is
exactly identical to full winding performance on a 6-wire motor.

Of all the motor types I prefer the 6-wire, or unipolar motors. You
can't screw up the winding phasing like you can with 8-wire motors
(buck vs. boost) and the performance penalty of 2% is essentialy
meaningless. You simply pick 4 out of the 6 wires available and it
will work. "

Looks like "... use the unipolar rating for the half winding...".

Deans's got quite a bit of information on his drivers on his website.
Looks good!

Lotta good stuff in the archieves!

HTH

Alan KM6VV